If you’ve ever owned a smartphone, chances are you’ve noticed how anything stronger than a slight breeze could crack your screen. Now, Corning are back with their latest formula – Gorilla Glass 5 – which they claim is designed to better survive drops.
They say this new Gorilla Glass could survive over 80% of drops from as high as 1.6 metres, a big jump from the 50% of drops that Gorilla Glass 4 could withstand
This is in response to research that over 85% of smartphone owners have dropped their phones at least once per year (the remaining 15% are liars).
So how does it work? Simple – the formulation is WAY stronger, making it twice as good at resisting scratches and other damage compared to what’s on the market right now.
BUT (and this is a big but), the strength has been tested with a couple of caveats. Firstly, Corning have just sampled the material on dummy phones dropped face down – no corner/side impacts that seem to be the main killer when it comes to glass. And secondly, many OEMs opt to use thinner glass panels than the one being tested here, in order to keep the phone thin.
While the second bit is an easy fix – nobody cares about having stupidly thin phones if it means a stronger screen and (drum roll) a better battery life, the first one makes me sceptical. Shock impacts on the side of a pane of glass cause just as much/if not more of the screen cracks. I’d like to see more real-world tests before putting this in the hands of the people.
As for now, however, all we can do is wait and see…
The dust has settled around the Galaxy Note 7’s explosive end, and one question remains about Samsung’s recalled phone: Why did they actually explode? Thanks to a teardown of the device by engineering firm Instrumental, we may have the answer.
For the centuries that humanity has researched the brain, we’ve believed that a memory is only preserved if the connected neurons were active. But that has just been proven wrong, as scientists have discovered that small jolts of electricity to the cranial mass can actually recover lost memories.
iPhone users - chances are you've received a calendar invite to "$19.99 Ray-Ban Sunglasses," or a "50%-off Ugg Boot" sale. Now while you may want to clear your calendar and take advantage of these incredible prices, unfortunately, they're fake. Here's how to get rid of them.
What happens in Vegas gets blogged about in January… Extremely thrilled to announce that New Rising Media is making the trip out to cover CES for the first time ever. But this isn’t just any CES, it’s the 50th anniversary of this legendary technology show.
Probably the most requested Netflix feature has now become a reality. In their new update, you can now download movies and TV shows for offline viewing.
People who signed that petition – you’re too late. The Investigatory Powers Act has just been given Royal Assent, meaning that UK Government is soon to become one of the most advanced surveillance states on the planet.
Thanks to a petition with over 120,000 signatures, the Investigatory Powers Bill – Britain’s new surveillance plans – could soon be repealed.
The Autumn Statement may have distracted you from this, but The Investigatory Powers Bill is now as good as passed, with the Digital Economy Bill shortly behind.
People across the globe are returning their Galaxy Note 7 mobiles to Samsung in exchange for apology rewards, to try to put out the fire on their reputation. But which country is getting the best deal? We took a look worldwide and ranked the company’s responses from best to worst.
As per the Autumn Statement, UK Government is set to invest billions into 5G, connecting more homes to fibre broadband and developing the infrastructure needed for driverless cars. But is all of this a smokescreen for the unprecedented surveillance powers they are about to get?
I am the Founder and Editor-in-chief of New Rising Media. You can follow me on Twitter @MrJasonEngland.